Chantasm





:: Cocktail Dance ::

:: Deeply in Love ::

Looking at the cover of this EP, you might think there’s some fairly lame music to be found on the disc inside. But you’d be wrong, my friends. Oh, so very wrong. Well, on second thought, maybe you’d be right. This record is typical of the kind of stuff that I find fun, but when I play these types of records for folks, more often than not, eyeballs roll and brows raise, quizzically, at me.

What is it? It’s a soundtrack to a film starring 60’s Hong Kong movie star, Chan Po Chu (a.k.a. Connie Chan). I’m not sure which film – she appeared in over 200 by the time she retired in her mid-twenties. What’s going on in the songs I’m posting? I don’t know, but let’s guess: In “Cocktail Dance,” Connie and a man, who may or may not have an initial dislike of each other, are challenging each other to a dance-off to different types of dance styles. By the song’s end, they are falling for each other, and join together to sing the end of the song. In the next track, “Deeply in Love,” Connie sings of her love for this lucky man, and he’s so happy he lets out a couple of ticklish, uncomfortable laughs at her advances. Why do I like this? I don’t know. I like pizza, too, ‘cause it just tastes good. And just as I seem to gorge myself whenever I eat it, I’ve managed to acquire not just a few, but a whole box full of Connie Chan soundtracks, so you’ll be hearing some more of her down the line here. Hey, stop rolling your eyes at me!


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, September 01, 2006 7:27:00 AM

Mickey Dolenz, eat your heart out!    



Friday, September 01, 2006 8:36:00 AM

I like this stuff. I always buy foreign language records when I see them. Spanish and Italian is what I see the most of.

..... bbb    



Sunday, September 03, 2006 11:57:00 PM

Hi Phil,

Thanks for posting these songs and thanks for the link to my Connie Chan website! My friend just reminded me that these two songs are from Connie's 1968 film Teenage Love. There's a review with screencaps on my website: http://www.moviefanprincess.com/teenagelove.html. I liked it this film a lot more than the person who wrote the review, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to you if you ever want to see one of Connie's movies. This one is avaiable on VCD for just $3.99 at YesAsia.com. There are no English subtitles but all the singing and dancing will keep you entertained. I hope it won't be too long before we can hear some more songs from your treasure trove of Chan Po Chu records. No rolling eyes from me! Just a big happy grin!

David Wells
Webmaster
Moviefanprincess.com    



Monday, September 04, 2006 10:11:00 PM

Fantastic! I, too, always pick up foriegn records especially if I have no idea what they are. It is the pleasure of the hunt, especially when they pay off. Friend, I say you got a grand pay off here! Even in context this is a strange one.    



Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:39:00 AM

I've been known to go in thrift stores and buy everything I don't know what it is, that is in reasonable playing condition. My latest fad is 'sound-a-like' albums. These are mostly from the 50's, but they made them all through the 60's and I've even found a couple from the 70's. I have to laugh when I read on the cover "All your favorites sung by professional singers". If they were professional singers, wouldn't they want their names on the label?

..... bbb    



Friday, November 17, 2006 11:49:00 AM

"Deeply in love" is the cover "I'm believer" !!    



» Post a Comment