Mondo Mondo





:: What Is This Thing Called Love ::

:: Footprints On The Dashboard ::

:: Blackeyed Suzy ::

Don't even bother to download the mp3s this time. This one's all about the cover "art". Look at it. Drink it in. Cherish it. As Peggy Lee once asked, "Is That All There Is?", and the answer is yes. If Joe Mondo were a hilariously shitty guitar player, or if his singing voice was not so good, then the music might be a little more interesting. But as it is, he's not too bad, and that sucks. It goes in one ear and out the other. If he looks like a guy you might find hanging out by the beach, playing these songs with his open guitar case lying on the ground nearby inviting passersby to throw a dollar into it, that's probably exactly who he is, or was.



Oh well, go ahead and listen to this shit if you must. I included "What Is This Thing Called Love" because it's the one song on the album credited to Mr. Mondo himself. For some reason none of the songs on side 2 have any songwritting credits. I imagine someone must have written "Footprints On The Dashboard", but I can understand why they wouldn't want to admit it. "Blackeyed Suzy" ain't that bad, and is mercifully short. Of course Joe can't help getting into the sexually suggestive lyrics. He knows what the ladies like.

Thanks to our buddy Trags for sending this one my way. I will be forever in his debt. Go Joe.


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Monday, August 21, 2006 2:31:00 PM

Hey, I want his recordings. Anybody have them? The link doesn't work. I remember Joe well. What ever happened to him?    



Monday, August 21, 2006 7:24:00 PM

Check out our "Robot's Guide to L.A. Record Shopping" link, and call Rockaway Records. They've got an autographed copy of this album in the "M" section in Rock & Pop. I don't think it's very expensive, or at least I certainly hope it isn't. Good luck.

Mike    



Saturday, January 06, 2007 12:06:00 AM

i remember joe from my early teen years in ct:

from http://www.sbw.org/vwhistory/:

The bug was parked in front of my apartment in Bridgeport for awhile, and then I had it restored (poorly) by a guy in Fairfield who shortly thereafter went to jail for jury tampering in an insurance fraud case. The interior was done by a guy who had a marine upholstery shop in Fairfield next door to Joe Mondo's World Car Stereo. The upholsterer went to jail not long after for dealing cocaine. Joe Mondo, my landlord at the time, put a nice stereo in the car. He didn't go to jail. Sadly, Joe died suddenly, shortly after we moved to Shelton.    



Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:57:00 AM

I bought a copy of this record at a salvation army for 25 cents and this record is a small gem. The covers are all pretty good, some of the lyrics are quite sexual. All and all this a great minor folk - blues album with great font and back cover are. Its honest and sparse, and Joe definately leaves his tag on the cover songs. Its really worth checking out. "What Is This Thing Called Love" is definately a great little folk nugget.    



Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:20:00 PM

Joe was good friends with my uncle and my mom, i remember him hanging out from time to time. my sister and I were sent out of the room whenever side 2 was spun...I listened to the B-Side when the folks were at work, and had to pretend i didn't know anything about it..I loved this album as an adolescent, and my copy of it is warped, I have asked my uncle for another copy, but haven't pestered him enough about it. I've taken up the banjo in the past year, and would love to play some of the dirtier tunes ;), I mean Salty Dog Blues, c'mon, can you hear Earl singing those verses? Big Love Joe, see you at the Light. ~"little john"    



Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:07:00 AM

Joe had a guitar made for him by Jimmy D'Aquisto in the mid 1980's. Unfortunately Joe passed away a few years later. The guitar has been with me for twenty years. What's interesting is how I've bonded with it, used it for weddings, for funerals, at bars, open mikes,
family gatherings and for home writing songs, playing late into the night. . .. Me and Joe's guitar are tight. I never knew Joe but I do have "ain't no cows"
Pete    



Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:54:00 PM

Hey there Pete, I'm joe mondo's great-nephew, he was my grandmothers brother. For years we have wondered what happened to the custom guitar Joe had made, and just today, the day after my grandmothers 79th birthday, I find out. I'd love to talk to you, my email is cjb523@aol.com. Joe's niece Louise is my mom, and he died about a month before my mom had me. I'd like to think that my guitar playing talent is thanks to Joe    



» Post a Comment