Lopsided Love Affair





:: Linda Scott - Lopsided Love Affair ::

Man, sometimes I am really glad when I decide to not put something back. This 45 almost didn't make the cut Saturday, and that would've been a damn shame. I had never heard of Linda Scott, but as soon as needle hit groove I was a fan. Perfectly executed Brill Building teenage pop, with chirpy organ leading the charge. There sure were a lot of heartbroken teenage girls back then.

I'll save rehashing most of the biographical information, as The Lively Set site has plenty of info. She was only 16 or 17 when this single came out in 1962. She retired from the pop biz in 1968, and like so many others, found religion. She wrote this song herself, which from what I can discern is the b-side. The a-side, "I Left My Heart In The Balcony", was written by the team of Jeff Barry and Art Resnick. If you've read the Robot much, you already know about Barry. Both songs are great, and you can find "I Left My Heart In The Balcony" on a hits collection that appears to be the only legitimate compilation of her work on CD. Looking at the track listing, you'll see she really had a thing for stars. I found mentions of a few other compilations, but they seem a bit dubious. Enjoy this extremely efficient slice of pop.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment