Twofer Turks Friday





:: New Bomb Turks - Youngblood ::

:: New Bomb Turks - All The Right Places ::


The last time I was in a really good and nasty mosh pit was at a New Bomb Turks show, way back in the days at Spaceland when the stage was on the other side of the venue and what's now the futuristic smoquarium was little more than a glorified rec room with a pool table and payphone. I emerged from the testosterone circus still drunk, missing a button off my shirt, and with a few nice bruises. Oh, and a souvenir t-shirt. I was never really punk, and I never really moshed; but something that night compelled me towards self-abuse and the abuse of other willing self-abusers. It was the furious trainwreck sound of the Turks. I had heard them on record and dug their sound, but it really hit me live. In the ribs, in the head, all over.



They are from Ohio, they've been around a long time. I'm not sure if they're still really together, though newbombturks.com says they did a "reunion" tour this past summer. These songs are from singles released 6 years apart. Youngblood is a suitably in-the-red Billy Childish cover from a 1993 7" on Damaged Goods that Billy himself recorded (in his kitchen.) All The Right Places is from a 1999 split with Scandinavian rock heroes Hellacopters, and has my favorite front cover of all time. If listening to these songs doesn't make you feel at least a little bit aggressive, it might be time to check out this dude named Yanni.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment