Oruy Imit





:: Timi Yuro - Satan Never Sleeps ::

I picked this one up for a buck thinking that the song, “Satan Never Sleeps” might be a hoot, ‘cause, you know, a lot of Christian-themed stuff makes me laugh. There’s nothing funny going on here, though. I should have known that the music would make me cringe, as that’s pretty much the reaction I had from the cover. Yuro has sort of a Liza Minelli approach throughout each of the standards here, just overpowering me with loud abrasiveness when she belts it out. I don’t imagine it was easy for anyone to sleep, let alone Satan, with this stuff on the radio. I’m being overly harsh, of course, but this record hurts me. On her Wikipedia page, both Elvis and Morrissey are listed as fans, so go figure.


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Monday, November 07, 2005 8:27:00 AM

Timo Yuro was the last of a great chain of beings that included Dinah Washington and Kay Starr. "Satan Never Sleeps" is a song either of those other two could have recorded. I liked it and I wish you would post more from the album for us non-cringers.    



Wednesday, November 09, 2005 8:28:00 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.    



Wednesday, November 09, 2005 8:29:00 AM

I'm pretty sure that the words that Timi uttered just before or just after that photo was taken were, "Look, buster."    



Monday, November 14, 2005 8:27:00 PM

Morrissey & Siouxsie did a duet of the song "Interlude" that Timi performed..."Satan" didn't make me cringe, tho' it did make me think of the movie Bell, Book, and Candle...    



» Post a Comment