Side Venture





:: Drums A Go Go ::

:: From Russia With Love ::

:: The In Crowd ::

:: Bullseye ::

:: Bongo Rock ::

:: Skokiaan ::

:: Watermelon Man ::

:: Harlem Nocturne ::

:: Taste Of Honey ::

:: The Creeper ::

:: No Exit ::

:: Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White::

I didn't know who Mel Taylor was when I bought this record, I just thought it had to be good with a cover like this. When I first listened to it, I still didn't know shit about Taylor, but I totally dug the record. A few weeks ago, I started playing drums in a retro-surf band, and of course one of the songs we learned was Walk Don't Run by The Ventures. I really loved this song when I was little, but I mainly remember their own re-working of the song called Walk Don't Run '64. Now I don't know for sure, but I think the main reason The Ventures re-recorded this song (besides the obvious potential of repeating it's success), was because they had recently picked up a great drummer named Mel Taylor, and his approach to the song warranted a new arrangement.

Somehow Taylor made a solo deal with Warner Bros., (The Ventures were with Dolton/Liberty) and he recorded this album in 1966, with a bunch of other studio cats ("The Magics") comprised mostly of Wrecking Crew types. Yes, great '60s instrumental music. Nothing earth shatteringly great, but what can I say? This is the kind of music I want to listen to these days.


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Monday, July 23, 2007 4:52:00 PM

i dig the in crowd... harlem nocturne sounds noiry...it's all cool.    



Monday, July 23, 2007 8:59:00 PM

I'm puzzled as to why that list includes "The Conversation" by Electric Moog Orchestra, which Tony apparently denied us when he posted the Close Encounters album.    



Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:34:00 AM

Mike - this stuff is terrific, I can't wait to fill my kids' ears with it. They're gonna love it. It sounds great, loud, too!    



» Post a Comment