E.G., EG





:: That's My Kick ::

:: Shadow of Your Smile ::

:: Like It Is ::

:: It Ain't Necessarily So ::

:: Autumn Leaves ::

I’m not much of a piano music connoisseur, but I’ll check it out if it comes wrapped in a big photo of a guy wearing a “Who Stole My Pudding?” look on his ugly mug, like Erroll Garner here. Best remembered as the artist who composed the standard that everyone loves, “Misty,” Garner was a self-taught pianist who composed hundreds of songs throughout his career. That’s My Kick is one of his later albums, from 1967, and there’s an incredibly happy energy between his playing and the background ensemble of bass, drums, guitar and bongos. There’s also a sixth instrument, Garner’s guttural grunts, that you’ll hear way in the background, off mic. When I first listened to this album, I thought a neighbor was groaning outside until I started paying closer attention. Anyway, here’s side one for all you cool cats.


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 7:36:00 PM

Erroll Garner was such a stud. His piano playing was exceptional and unique. He's cool like Shatner. Thanks for the tracks.    



Wednesday, July 18, 2007 7:37:00 PM

i dig it, baby. wasn't there a movie called 'play misty for me?'    



Friday, July 20, 2007 10:03:00 AM

dude looks like al sharpton.    



Sunday, July 29, 2007 9:42:00 PM

My piano teacher knew Errol Garner, at least well enough to have a drink with him (or many, many drinks from the sounds of it) and told me that EG was one of nine kids, and that at least one of his brothers was also a piano player. He never learned to read music - apparently he was able to sit down at the age of two or three and play along with records almost from the beginning. I'm into my third year of lessons and just getting to "Home on the Range" - but hell, at least I can read the notes! Take that, Errol Garner.    



» Post a Comment