Some Serious Patriotic Cheddar





:: Voice Of Freedom ::

:: The Star Spangled Banner ::

:: The Star Spangled Banner (Moogstrumental) ::

:: Satan Spangled Banner ::

Wow. OK, let me first say that I always tell myself there's no reason for us freedom loving, freedom abusing guys here at the Robot to do pieces related to current events or holidays, but then some holiday rolls around and I remember this one thing I picked up, and next thing you know, we have a theme going. Well, whatever, because this slab is something else.

The a-side here, Voice Of Freedom, actually made the charts in 1980 (#11?!?), although I sure as hell don't remember ever hearing it. If I did, I would have changed the station. The best thing about this is that the proceeds from the single went to the Red Cross. Good for them.

You probably don't need this information, if for no other reason than simply hearing this stuff ought to clue you in, but Jim Kirk was a long time jingle writer. Not only that, but he's backed here by the TM Singers, TM being a jingle production house he worked for. You can check out some of their handiwork here.

The lyrics to Voice Of Freedom are classic cheese. At one point you are encouraged to eat American. The Star Spangled Banner, which I admit can be a very dramatic, soaring number in the hands of certain patriotic maniacs, is delivered with such laissez faire early 80's limpness that it makes the theme from Greatest American Hero sound like Ace of Spades. Yet, strangely, or perhaps terribly predictably, I love the instrumental version, where an analog synth carries the melody line. As an added bonus, I've included a 33 1/3 rpm version of the vocal version, so you can hear how easy it is for something to sound evil. 666!


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:28:00 PM

Christ. As soon as I started playing this, I know I heard it at the time. On the radio. It was morning again in America.    



Sunday, December 09, 2007 3:53:00 PM

This song actually did get some airplay. I remembered hearing it once...ONCE. But how on earth did it EVER chart to #11 when there were songs in 1980 that peaked farther below #11 that have become commercial Adult Contemporary radio standards throughout that decade and well into the '90s?

I actually thought it was a promo jingle for the Voice of America shortwave stations (I didn't remember the verses, just the campy chorus "We're the voice of freedom/We're the voice of America...") But I'm sure they no doubt gave this one HEAVY rotation during it's brief run...    



Sunday, March 02, 2008 9:30:00 PM

This comment has been removed by the author.    



Sunday, March 02, 2008 9:31:00 PM

I can't get the link to work - any suggestions? I remember this song as a kid; I think my parents bought the record - hahahaha good times in the 80's!!    



Friday, June 06, 2008 11:52:00 AM

Actually, this song peaked at #71, after debuting in the Billboard Hot 100 the week before at #73. And dropped to #86 (or somewhere between #81 and #90). It spent a total of 3 weeks in the Hot 100, and never even came close to the Top 40.    



Friday, May 06, 2011 6:08:00 AM

I am a little embarrasses to admit that I sang on this record as a child.    



Friday, January 19, 2024 10:46:00 PM

This is a great post, thanks for writing it    



» Post a Comment