Billy Joel The Hun





:: Attila, The Album ::

Once, many years ago, a friend and I were watching "Behind The Music:
Billy Joel", not because either of us liked him, in fact I despise the
motherfucker, but only because we had nothing better to do at that
moment. Suddenly, without warning, the show revealed the fact that
Joel had been in a band in the late '60s called Attila, and they
showed a publicity photo of Joel and his drummer/partner Jon Small in
full Attila attire including horned helmets. We screamed like little
girls, and I swore at that moment that I would some day own that
record.

Now I can say I do. It was a typical day. I was at Amoeba and had
accumulated a handful of somewhat mundane, but worthy of my collection
only because they didn't cost too much records when just as suddenly
as Behind The Music exposed me to it in the first place, I saw it on
the wall. $30.00. The records in my hand went back in their respective
bins and before I knew it, a friendly Amoeba employee got the hook and
hoisted Attila into my sweating with anticipation hands. I inspected
it - a promo copy (perhaps they all are?) and in fine shape. Worth
$30.00? Hell no!, but I didn't care. It was mine I tell you! Mine!



Oh, I'd already heard the music thanks to peer to peer file sharing,
and yes, it's awful, but that doesn't matter, does it?

Back story? Here you go. The only disappointment is that they're not wearing their horned helmets on the cover. As a matter of fact, the helmets they're holding
don't appear to have horns on them. Not that Attila the Hun was into
horned helmets (that was a Viking thing, right?), but I swear the pic
of Attila they showed on Behind the Music included helmets with horns
on them. I swear to God! Or maybe not. It was a long time ago.


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:20:00 AM

Mike-Get a Life.    



Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:23:00 AM

Yeah, stop wasting your time on the internet posting anonymously, you big loser. Oh wait, that wasn't you.    



Tuesday, October 09, 2007 3:47:00 PM

As the other party who witnessed that fateful Behind the Music episode, I too cannot say for certain exactly how Mr. Joel was attired. Suffice to say he was majestic and swarthy (as he often is).    



Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:52:00 AM

The Robot Lives! Please don't ya leave me lonely for so long ever again. My heart pined and pined for you while you were away. Can't wait to Tear This Castle Down with more Robot R.O.C.K.

Your #1 Fan in the UK    



Thursday, October 11, 2007 12:31:00 PM

I love this part in the backstory: "Attila is often selected by critics and other music journalists as one of the worst rock album of all time;"

Great find. Any other MOR purveyors of pap have hidden histories?    



Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:59:00 PM

Hooo-ray! You're back-back-back!    



Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:24:00 PM

"Any other MOR purveyors of pap have hidden histories?"

Oh, definitely. One that immediately leaps to mind, again partly for the dubious wardrobe choices, is Tori Amos's pre-debut as Y Kant Tori Read.

Ooof.

Then there's Simon and Garfunkel's "Tom and Jerry" period in the 1950s

-- andrew    



Friday, November 02, 2007 8:00:00 AM

finally, some music...    



Wednesday, November 07, 2007 2:51:00 PM

rock and roll! I love this stuff.

Does this remind anyone else of the Three Suns on speed?    



Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:05:00 AM


Does this remind anyone else of the Three Suns on speed?


As long as we recognise that the Three Suns were intentionally humorous, whereas this is utterly ridiculous.

Still, thanks for putting it up. I can now die secure in the knowledge that I will never make a worse album than that.    



Friday, December 07, 2007 2:46:00 PM

Oh this is divine. Thank you so much. There should be an Attila reunion gig!    



Monday, December 10, 2007 4:20:00 AM

The one thing that maybe you don;t know is that soon after the record was released Billy ruined everything by starting an affair with Jon Small's wife, and of course that was the end for Attila. It's True! It's true...    



Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:54:00 PM

Hi- was wondering if you might be able to re-upload the Attila album. I'd get it elsewhere, but there is no elsewhere. You're the only one that I can find after 2 hours of searching. I'd love to hear this album, I don't care how bad it is. Anything you could do would be great. Even if you could upload it to Rapidshare or Megaupload and send me the link would be good. E-mail me back if you can- bullwhip@knac.com Thanks!!!    



Wednesday, May 06, 2009 5:55:00 PM

I'd like to second that re-post request :~) Been looking for this bad-boy for a long time.

(AdamMLobel@Yahoo.com)

THANKS!    



Friday, May 29, 2009 7:56:00 AM

Hello, I'm searching for this album 4 EVER???? Came anyone help me out???
markdeberg@gmail.com


Many thanks in advance!!!!    



Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:09:00 PM

this is actually the the best album of all time    



Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:16:00 AM

My god, you should have never paid $30 for that album. It was reissued in 1985 on vinyl and cassette by Backtrack records, a division of Columbia Special Products (someone at Columbia, which is still the label Joel was on must have really hated him). I think I paid .99 for my sealed copy back in the mid-90's and that was about all it was worth. It was also released as a pre-record and Creative Sounds, a crappy semi-bootleg label out of Philly issued it on CD mastered from a vinyl source and slowed down slightly to make the younger Joel sound like the older Joel.    



Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:31:00 PM

I would buy the LP off you. Seriously, give me an email: greendayfan1@live.ca    



» Post a Comment