Grandmother Of J-Pop





:: Com On-A My House ::

:: Tennessee Waltz ::

I accidentally picked these up on Ebay. Now, anyone who knows me knows that me picking up Japanese music is never an accident, but in this case I carelessly didn't realize that these were 78's before I bid, and so of course I won. I have nothing against 78's, even though they often smell like a basement full of old magazines. I just can't play them on my turntable because it don't go that fast, and I don't have the special cartridge. So I have to thank Mike for doing that dirty work for me.

Chances are you've heard Come On-A My House and Tennessee Waltz many times, but you probably haven't heard either of them delivered by an adorable young Japanese girl backed by a jazz band. If IMDB is to be believed, Chiemi Eri was born in 1937 and would have been a teenager when she recorded this 10". She evidently was a big star in post-war Japan, and her recordings of American pop standards were often the first versions people there heard of them. One of her movie titles translates to "Youthful Jazz Daughter," a grouping of words many an indie rock band would kill to have as one of their song titles.



I love this stuff to death. She sings confidently, but still with tons of girlish charm, and the King Orchestra swings magically behind her. As mistake purchases go, this was a pretty damn good one. Sure beats buying American Beauty on CD twice in a year.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, October 12, 2006 7:47:00 AM

My current turntable has a 78 speed on it, though I don't use it much.

There are other ways to play and process 78's.

I once recorded a bunch of them on tape at 45 and then speeded up the tape. Okay, this was 20 years ago. Today I could play the record at 45 and run it through a program to speed it up.

Of course, having a friend to do it for you, is the best way to go (LOL)

..... bbb    



Monday, October 16, 2006 10:42:00 PM

As a pick anything up that Japanese that is from the 60s or early and cheap, I can very much appreciate your "accidental" purchase. I've been hooked on this stuff ever since I blindly picked up a Peanuts 10" at a thrift store some years back (and when I find stuff like that I cant help but wonder WHY AND HOW DID IT GET THERE?). --Scott S    



Saturday, October 21, 2006 4:24:00 PM

Brilliant accident. Thank you for sharing.    



» Post a Comment