...And One Ondioline





:: Eleanor Rigby ::

:: Ring Of Sound ::

:: Sign Of The Times ::

:: Walkin' My Cat Named Dog ::

:: The Breeze And I ::

Found for a buck in Sioux City, Iowa. If you ever find yourself there, and like records, you might want to sneak into Uncle John -- they don't have a ton of vinyl, but I certainly was happy with what I found. I am pretty sure I caught my first whiffs of incense at the old Uncle John location on the west side, and lo and behold, the newest home still has that aroma. God bless the glorious history of record store as headshop.

I don't know anything about Charlie Fox, other than what's on the back of this lp. He did some arranging for latin acts, and well, this. The record sounds great, and even though this is basically your usual reworking of hits by a less than cool band, an ondioline chirping alongside alto sax and comingling with 12-string guitars does pull out some very interesting renditions of songs you already know. Eleanor Rigby starts out kind of like Aerosmith's "Dream On," and it may take you a minute to recognize the Petula Clark hit "Sign Of The Times," but overall this is fun stuff, and I can't stop listening to it. Here's the entire first side, including one of two original compositions (one named for the band, one for the album - I guess they didn't spend much time on the titles).

Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Saturday, January 20, 2007 1:37:00 PM

This record was produced by Charlie Fox and Elliot Mazer who went on to a long career in producing etc.    



Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:33:00 PM

Hi, Tony,
I had hoped to hear "The Ring of Sound", which was played on the "Young Sound of CBS-FM in 1967-1969, but when I clicked on the mp3 file,I got a message "Page Not Found-The page you tried to access does not exist on this server". Please advise me as to whether this is a good link. Thanks,
Henry at longwave11@verizon.net
(I don't know the tune)    



» Post a Comment