Chuckery





:: The Greatest Love Affair ::

In the past we’ve posted songs sung by TV game show hosts, and in the spirit of continuing that occasional tradition, I give you – the music of Chuck Woolery. Woolery hosted the heinous The Love Connection dating show in the ‘80’s, but he’d actually started out his career in the late ‘60’s as a musician. He hit the U.S. Top 40 briefly in 1968 with his band, The Avant-Garde, and a song called “Naturally Stoned.” I just downloaded that one off of Soulseek, and it isn’t too bad if you like soft, billowy country rock. He followed it up with a handful of solo releases between 1969 and 1971. I believe “The Greatest Love Affair” was originally released in ’69 on Columbia, though my copy is a promo from 1980 on Epic, by which point he was hosting Wheel of Fortune. I hadn’t known until today that he was the original host of that show before Pat Sajak took the helm. I really do gather up bits of trivial minutiae while doing lazy, half-assed research for these little music posts.

If you choose to download, I recommend that you stick with it and listen until the end. I say this because I picked this record up over a year ago, listened to the first incredibly boring minute or so, took it off and chucked it into a box of junk vinyl. Over the weekend, I put it on again and listened to it all the way through. I don’t want to ruin the experience for you by giving anything away, but there’s a bit of a twist and Chuck treats us to a big, soulful payoff beginning around the three-minute mark. And by that I mean this song sucks on a completely different level than how it starts out sucking.


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 7:19:00 AM

OH
MY
GOD.

I guess only a song that opens with
"I dreamed i woke up..." could get
THAT awesome.    



Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:27:00 PM

Dear Lord.

This song has to be a parody of "Goodbye Sam" by Shad O'Shea. Or maybe that song is a parody of this one.

Whatever, GS has the same arrangement (only funnier) and the same lame "surprise payoff" at the end. If you've never heard that song, you OWE IT to yourself to track it down; it is on a Rhino LP of bad songs called "The Rhino Brothers Present THe World's Worst Records" or something like that. The single is on Plantation Records.

Oh my.    



Monday, August 14, 2006 2:37:00 AM

I really love this song! I heard it a first time as an english waltz in the dancing school.

So I tried to find out who the original artist is. Now I know and I hope to download or buy it somewhere.

The link here seems to be broken?!?    



Monday, August 14, 2006 6:47:00 AM

Link seems to be fine from here, try again?    



Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:11:00 PM

That is just good Amurican music, the way it should be. If I hadn't heard it for myself, I wouldn't believe that there could be a song that perfect!    



Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:59:00 PM

Didn't Woolery also sing on (or host?) one of the latter incarnations of "Name That Tune"?? I haven't imdb'd him on that, but I think I recall he did.    



Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:51:00 PM

Woolery was also a contributor to The New Zoo Revue    



» Post a Comment