Hats Off To The Fish





:: The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh ::

:: Pisces Theme ::

Sometimes there's crap in my stacks o' records that I kind of take for granted, ones that I picked up just because I liked the idea of having the song on a 45. Stuff like Jay Ferguson's "Thunder Island" or Jim Reeves' "He'll Have To Go," just in case I ever buy a real jukebox or something. Sure, that's kind of like buying billiard balls in hopes one day you'll have the space and money for a pool table, but I like to plan from all sides. Anyway, this 45 has been in my possession for quite a while, but I never thought about writing it up, simply because I assumed you could get the soundtrack. Well, it apparently has never been reissued, and so here I am, more than a little late with my article on a Monday night.



I can't remember if I've seen this movie, but I don't need to have seen it to know it was not a good movie. I am sure it's charming in a bad clothing way and would be funky retro fun if you watched it now, but when Dr. J is one of the leads, you know it's not exactly Masterpiece Theatre. Despite the silliness of the movie, and its plot about a coach putting together a team based on their astrology signs (Pisces, natch) and saving the day, the soundtrack was put together by the very capable Thom Bell, a Philly soul maestro who did a lot of arrangement work with the semi-immortal Gamble and Huff.

For fun(?) while you listen to these slices of vintage 1979 basketfunk, please read this speculative fantasy cast listing for a sequel to the movie.

Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:31:00 PM

I saw this when it came out in the theatres, in a canvernous strip mall duplex with falling ceiling panels and water damage.

After that it was over to the Howard Johnson's for ice cream sundaes. I was about 13 years old. Ouch.    



» Post a Comment