Your Movements Awakened Me





:: I'd Love Making Love to You ::

:: Where It's At ::

:: Both Sides Now ::

:: It's Getting Better ::

:: Consilium ::

There was a time when, if I saw a Leonard Nimoy album in your record collection, I would have laughed at you while flashing the “Live Long and Prosper” hand-sign, you nerd. Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now. Truth is, I’ve become completely entranced by The Way I Feel, listening to it a couple of times a week over the course of the last few months. Yeah, I know. I’m a square.



Dot Records thought they’d ride Star Trek’s wave of success by signing Nimoy to a multi-album contract for some “Mr. Spock” records. Unfortunately, the show’s success was short-lived and cancellation was imminent after his first record, so it was time to remake Nimoy into a pop star! Dot gently eased listeners into this transition with The Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy, the first side being spacey songs sung from the point of view of Mr. Spock, the second side being a menagerie of folk songs and weirdness from Leonard’s “real” side. This is the side from which the infamous, “The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins” comes, and I’m sure selections from this album are in the Record Robot future.

By the third album, The Way I Feel, the Spock persona was completely gone and Nimoy’s transformation into a fully fledged, socially-aware folker was complete. The only trace we find of Spock is a tiny, unsmiling portrait found in the upper left-hand corner of the album cover art, amongst the collage of flowers, butterflies and hippie shit. Much of this record has appeared on those “Golden Throat” compilations, and yeah maybe his voice doesn’t hit some of the notes the way it should, but I don’t think he’s too terrible of a singer. Perhaps a lot of the unintentional comedy comes out of our visualizing the over-dramatized sincerity of the songs coming from someone who is forever seared into our consciousness as a green-hued, eyebrow-raised, pointy-eared alien – with an acoustic guitar on his lap. Regardless, I’m a tin-eared sucker for this stuff, but hey, it’s hip to be square.


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:49:00 AM

wow, i'm in pizza face paradise!    



Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:08:00 PM

I nabbed the album from joe's (above), and was especially taken with "Here We Go Round Again"--thoughtful and sincere, written by the artist himself. Nimoy's singing isn't flawless, but he's no rank amateur; he played musical leads back in the day (including Tevye on Broadway), and that called for (at least) decent pipes. Especially before the introduction of the lavaliere (sp?) mic, singers who couldn't get to the back row didn't get hired.

Anyway, you wave your geek flag high!    



Thursday, July 27, 2006 6:13:00 PM

Oh, nice! I'm looking forward to hearing The Touch of Leonard Nimoy, as I haven't come across that LP yet. Joe, it's you I have to thank for my Nimoy fascination, actually. I think you posted a link to your site here once before...I followed and found your upload of The Way I Feel, which sent me looking for my own copy. I'm glad you stopped by, as I lost the link to yer site, and you've got some mighty fine stuff available.

Rah, "Here We Go 'Round Again" is credited to Paul Evans and Paul Parnes, the duo also responsible for penning "The Next Step is Love" for Elvis Presley. Paul Evans wrote quite a few others for Elvis, and recorded "Here We Go 'Round Again" himself in 1971, as a b-side to a single on Laurie Records. Nimoy does share songwriting credits to two songs on this record - "Please Don't Try to Change My Mind" and "Consilium."

Whew. That's enough geekiness for today. I'm off to play some World of Warcraft.    



Thursday, July 27, 2006 6:22:00 PM

The ULTIMATE album is "Touch Of..."
My super best friend and I have played his albums over and over. We aren't into it for the "camp", we really admire his effort and artistic effort. The sixties were a different time, when the media didn't tear anything and everything apart. And as a result, you got projects like this, of people singing, just because they want to! All Leonard Nimoy's albums are soundtracks to my life, and can lift me in an instant, if I am feeling low.
I encourage you to collect them all and enjoy! (Ebay is your best bet!)

Best regards!
Shannon Doyle McCool
San Diego, CA

myspace.com/shannondoylemccool    



Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:11:00 PM

...and I would be the very best friend. Yes, the albums of Leonard Nimoy rapidly became the very most prized in my collection. The music got me through some very tough times in grad school, as I could always escape to my car or dorm room and listen to someone who sounded like a wise "father figure." I appreciate the fact that he does not sound like some flawless studio-polished mega-star; his voice sounds more like someone I would actually know and relate to in real life. WHile my fave album is also The Touch of Leonard Nimoy, this album has some great cuts like Both Sides Now and Billy Don't Play the Banjo. Thanks for posting this page!

"Kakenrip"
Yuma, AZ

myspace.com/kakejunk    



Friday, December 15, 2023 3:27:00 AM

supreme official
jordan outlet
hermes belt
supreme clothing
goyard bag
steph curry shoes
goyard tote bag
bape clothing
jordan travis scott
off-white
   



» Post a Comment