Even More Bunker





:: Remembering You ::

I could sense that the Archie and Edith post from earlier in the week left everyone out there salivating, so I thought I’d bring out some more Carroll O’Connor goodness to satisfy the hunger and bring us all some closure. This A&M release, from (as Carroll would say) “Anno Domini 1972,” was conceived after the first season of All in the Family, when O’Connor approached Roger Kellaway about writing a lyric to Kellaway’s piano instrumental, “Remembering You,” featured each week over the closing credits of the show. Along the way, they discovered a mutual fondness for the music of the Thirties and decided to do a whole album of O’Connor singing popular songs from the decade. O’Connor also gives little historical rundowns of each year of the Thirties leading into each song. The result of this collaboration is a typically self-indulgent celebrity record, but it’s interesting because it’s the only place you can get “Remembering You” with the lyrics. Incidentally, beginning with the second season of the show, O’Connor began sharing credit and royalties for the song with Kelloway, though the Kelloway instrumental version remained the closing theme.


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Saturday, July 22, 2006 2:05:00 AM

In, I think, the summer of 1975, I saw Carroll O'Connor appear on "American Bandstand", where he sang a slow, torchy rendition of "I Want To Hold Your Hand", and I have to say, it was pretty damn good. Any chance you have that record (well, I assume he was promoting a record, but who knows?)?    



Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:34:00 PM

Phil - who is the clarinet player on this record? Does it list the other musicians as well?

Thanks for posting this. I remember my parents buying this album on 8-Track back in the day.

Tom    



Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:40:00 PM

Phil - Just found the info on another site. The musicians are:

Carroll O'Connor-(vocal & narration)
Roger Kellaway-(piano)
Matty Matlock-(clarinet)
Joe Pass-(guitar)
John Guerin-(drums)
Chuck Domanico-(bass)

I would have guessed John and Chuck, as they played with Roger on other A&M albums of the era. I would not have guessed Joe Pass. I was wondering if the clarinet was either Kenny Davern or even maybe Henry Cuesta. I hadn't thought of Matty Matlock.

Thanks again - Tom    



» Post a Comment