Coat Check Girl Makes Good





:: Cilla Black - I'm Not Alone Anymore ::

Cilla Black is little known in the U.S., but is considered one of England's best loved entertainers. A Liverpudlian, she worked as a coat check girl at the Cavern Club as the Beatles were just starting out. Inspired by the scene, she began to try her hand at singing. She was there when Brian Epstein visited the club, and was caught up in the mania that followed. With Epstein's backing, she was signed to Parlophone Records, and for the next 11 years worked with producer George Martin. Her style was a sort of sophisticated 60s R&B ala Dusty Springfield. This song, "I'm Not Alone Anymore" reeks of Bacharach/David and Dionne Warwick, but was written by the team of Westlake and Lynch. I'd never really heard much Cilla Black until I picked up this record, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I really like this song.

For a supposedly marginally talented singer, Cilla Black (real name before Epstein changed it: Priscilla White) has enjoyed a long successful career mainly for being in the right place at the right time. Which just goes to show: If you love music, go to shows and support your local scene. Fame and fortune will surely follow.


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Monday, February 06, 2006 1:10:00 PM

Cilla's vocal style is a little harsh to my ears, which is too bad, as this otherwise is a really cool song. I especially like that baroque-bordering-on-psychadelic string part that gets repeated after every line of the verse. So overall my verdict is that a good cover version is in order.    



Wednesday, April 08, 2020 12:06:00 AM

Follow this link for daily news updates on sports, football leagues, follow here >> https://hongthong8.blogspot.com    



Wednesday, April 08, 2020 1:24:00 AM

Your article is great. I read it and like it. Come to read my article, ทรัมป์ click here    



» Post a Comment