Play Ball!





:: Introduction: Why Become An Umpire? ::

:: Duckin' The Empties ::

:: Umpiring At A Prison Game ::

:: Satchel Paige ::

:: Bob Feller's Fast Ball ::

:: Umpire's Off-Season Job ::

Well, baseball season is here, and now's as good a time as any to put this up. Mike gave me this a while back, presumably because he knows that I love my baseball as much as I love my music. So what could be better than a record about baseball? Well, lots of things of course. But this is a fairly unique recording, coming several years before Ron Luciano's lighter side of umpiring books. Red once ejected practically the entire White Sox bench in a 1946 Fenway Park episode that grew to legend status over many retellings over the years. This old coot's folky readings will probably not have you laughing as hard as the audience on this record, but how many times do you ever hear the phrase "pecker high"?

Also, this beats out Rare Earth as the least funky thing I know of on Motown. Play Ball! Or something.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:04:00 PM

God, I can't stop focusing on his mouth.    



» Post a Comment