(Can Be Fun)





:: Billy James - Truck Driving (Can Be Fun) ::

Here’s another trucker song for you to add to your trucker song mix-tape. Or not. I couldn’t find squat about our artist, Billy James, but the song is written by Rod Hart, who scored a small hit in 1977 with a gay-themed, pedal-pumpin’ parody song, “C.B. Savage.” Tony introduced me to that one during one of our Robot road trips, and it didn’t take long before effeminate quotes from it started popping up throughout the trip (“Breaker, breaker, any takers?”). We don’t have anything near as ridiculous here on this single, unfortunately, but “Truck Driving (Can Be Fun)” is still a catchy little ode to the diesel driver, or rather, an ode to how fun it is to sing about them.

My only truckin’ experience, besides bad movies like Peckinpah’s Convoy, involved me transporting a crane for a small film production company. The Teamsters Union didn’t take too kindly to me for some reason, and tried to block me from leaving the loading dock of the equipment rental house. I had to drive around them, on a New York City sidewalk, mind you, to get on my way. I then arrived at my destination and proceeded to back the truck into the company’s awning, crushing it, and thus ending my truckin’ employment. Which is fine, ‘cause truck driving ain’t all that fun, anyway.


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, May 18, 2007 8:51:00 AM

Did you know there's a whole album of trucking novelty songs by Rod Hart, called Breakeroo, and it leads off with "C.B.Savage".    



» Post a Comment