Hats Off To Dave Doughman.





:: All The President's Men ::

:: Feeling Transparent ::

:: Painfully Obvious ::

:: A Drinking Town ::

:: Bars Close ::

:: Before The Flood ::

:: Plum Island ::

:: Speedracer's Lament ::

:: Two Blocks From The River ::

:: Smart Aleck's Karma ::


So, The Record Robot is one year old today. We thought about doing something special. Thought about it. But stuff like Superman and Peoria, Illinois, and Illpreparedness put the kibosh on any special ideas we had. But thanks for reading us, and I have to say it feels like it's been about three years already. Pretty much the only special things about today are that the 7" I am writing about has the word Tuesday in its title, and today is Tuesday, and that Kevin over at the mighty fine Pop Zeus blog is also doing a piece on the same band. So it's a banner day for people who like their music free, and have an interest in this particular band.

Swearing At Motorists, or S@M if you dig acronyms that resemble naughty typos, hail from the mythical hamlet of Dayton, Ohio. It used to be, as it is on the 7" I am posting here, the duo of Dave Doughman and Don Thrasher. Don Thrasher used to play a little drums here and there for GBV. Dave Doughman comes from a long line of pizza makers. Or not.

Dave is a friendly guy, and he's got an interesting mind, at least in the ways he expresses himself lyrically. I've seen S@M live a few times, and you never know what you'll get from him, particularly if there's any type of equipment failure. The songs are simple without being dumb, a little depressing yet hopeful enough to not be dour. This 1996 EP, Tuesday's Pretzel Night, was the first thing I ever heard by them, and as I was already quite enamored of another Dayton band who utilized six packs and four tracks in ways I'd always wished I could (GBV), this was 10 slices of imperfected lo-fi heaven. The last time I saw Dave Doughman, I helped him carry about 10 beers.


Tony is Pretzel Knight
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:00:00 PM

Happy birthday !
Great work
merci.    



Tuesday, June 20, 2006 7:48:00 PM

Small world, it's about time I said "hi" comment .....

I had been reading your blog from time to time sporadically and never realized it was YOU GUYS!!!!!! I even brought a Record Robot sticker home from SxSW for my daughter before I realized that it was your site. And I kept wondering why Tony posted recordrobot on his Postal Blowfish posts. Duh. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that, but it's time I swallowed my pride and acknowledged your genius.

See ya.

Lurker Paul    



Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:49:00 PM

In the 90's a dude in Chattanooga taped this for me with Robert Pollard's Not in My Airforce and some Tobin Sprout singles...great to have this one on my hard drive finally.    



Friday, June 23, 2006 7:12:00 AM

Greetings From Berlin,
Damn, do i love the internet.
i have not heard this record in several years! not sure if i even own a copy anymore, and if i do, it is in storage in Dayton or Philly.
thanks, now it is on my hard drive too...    



Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:59:00 PM

Hey hey! I just found this and it aint workin no mo' (sniff). What are the chances it gets put back on? I'd nosh someone off for these chooooonz.    



Sunday, May 08, 2011 3:12:00 AM

Postcards from a Drinking Town has all these songs as well as many others. It compiles all of Swearing At Motorist's early EPs and 7" records.

It's available from Secretly Canadian Records and Amazon.    



» Post a Comment