David Seville On The Flip Side





:: Mediocre ::

:: Almost Good ::

:: Flip Side ::

Phil wrote a piece about Ross Bagdasarian / David Seville last August, so I won't bore you with much history. I will say though, he co-wrote "Come On-A My House", which was a huge hit for Rosemary Clooney in 1951. Well, that impressed the hell out of me anyway.

The 3 songs featured here today are all B sides of Chipmunks hits, and are credited to David Seville. There's an obvious, consistent thread running through all of these mostly instrumental ditties, proving that humor really does belong in music.

One of these records I've had my whole life, or all but the first 2 years of it maybe. I loved "Alvin's Harmonica" and played it to death on my kiddie record player, which looked something like this.



Since I tended to play every record I had over and over, I'd listen to the B sides as well. Therefore "Mediocre" is very familiar to me. Even though I was very young, I think I still got the joke, which explains why Bagdasarian was such a hit with the younguns. You can hear how this record was abused. It's in the grooves, man.

"Almost Good" is the B side of "The Chipmunk Song" and "Flip Side" is the flip side of "Ragtime Cowboy Joe". I acquired those two records just in the last couple of years, and was charmed by Bagdasarian's approach to B side etiquette. I think I used to have a copy of "The Witch Doctor", but probably smeared too many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on it, and now I don't remember what the B side was. Ah, such is life.

Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:37:00 PM

Hi Record Robot. I like your site. Signed, a Satisfied Customer.    



Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:53:00 AM

Great stuff!

I've got a couple of David Seville songs I need to send you.

"Gotta get To Your House"
"Camel Rock"
"Little Brass Band"

Where can I send them? Uh, never mind I'll upload them somewhere and send the links to you.

"Gotta Get To Your House" was one of my favorites! Had it since I was a kid too.    



Friday, August 11, 2006 9:48:00 AM

I have an MP3 of "Don't Whistle At Me Baby", the B side of "Witch Doctor". Email me if you want it.

badboybacky@hotmail.com

I also have a couple cuvver versions of "Witch Doctor"

..... bbb    



Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:40:00 PM

Any chance you can get around to posting or fixing the links for these Seville songs again?

Thanks!    



Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:14:00 PM

I loved my copy of "Almost Good" too. I would love to get that link to the David Seville flip sides. That was pretty cool stuff.

Cheers,

Lance    



Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:16:00 PM

I too loved "Almost Good" and have been looking to get a vopy of it, like, forever. Words cannot express my gratitude.    



Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:16:00 PM

vopy=copy. (But you knew that.)    



Saturday, August 13, 2022 3:05:00 AM

off white nike
off white x nike
nike kyrie 7
supreme sweatshirt
jordan shoes
golden goose
moncler
paul george
off white
curry 8
   



» Post a Comment