Feel The Ordge





:: Jimmy Arthur Ordge - Herschel's Hemi Half-Ton ::

:: Jimmy Arthur Ordge - Teddy Bear ::

You can’t sport both a fluffy comb-over and gaudy blue jumpsuit on the cover of your album and escape my purchasing power for long. Jimmy Arthur Ordge employed this cloddish combination for the cover of his 1979 release, “Storytime & Prayers”, earning him a spot forever in my record collection.

According to the copy on the back of the album, Ordge served as opening act for country greats Roy Clark, Webb Pierce and Buck Owens whenever they toured through Canada. Surely if Ordge had ever made it down to the states, his particular brand of country music would have taken Nashville by storm, ensuring him a place in the hearts of all American country music fans. Alas, ‘twas not meant to be.

I myself am so taken by the songs on this record that I’m posting two tracks from it. First up is a cover of Red Sovine’s classic trucker song, “Teddy Bear.” If Ordge’s delivery of this sentimental yarn of a crippled boy, his widowed mother, and his CB radio relationship with passing truckers doesn’t jerk a tear or two from your eye, then you must ask yourself, “Am I human?” Next is the foot-tapping, doomed tale of “Herschel’s Hemi Half-Ton”, delivering homemade booze to cheering alcoholics all over town. I get goose bumps every time Ordge sings, “Here comes Herschel’s Hemi half-ton, with that hooch tank on the back.” Country music, Canuck style! Ah-wooooooo!


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:37:00 PM

Anyone know where I can get an MP3 of Herschel's Hemi Half ton? If so please let me know at schumacher@mts.net Thanks    



Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:39:00 PM

Can you post the lyrics to "Herschel's Hemi Half Ton" ? I can't find them anywhere.    



Sunday, May 30, 2010 12:12:00 PM

Any idea of where I might find the lyrics to "Herschel's Hemi Half Ton"    



» Post a Comment