The Big 5-0





:: George Shearing Quintet - September Song ::

:: Louis Prima - The Lip ::

George Shearing's 2nd release of 1956 ultimately gave me an interesting way to celebrate my 50th birthday.

I acquired this record sometime within the last year, and when I listened to it, I recognized it as one of many sounds I spent my early years with. Shearing's distinctive "piano and vibes played in unison " vibe is as comforting as bacon and eggs on Sunday morning, and 100,000 times more classy, and healthy!

This album (like myself) came out about a year or so before *stereo* became a (household) word, and nobody complained. This particular copy of this record sounds fucking great. "They don't make 'em like that anymore, kids." The delicious sounds flow flawlessly and easily forth from the Big Speaker Cabinet, and, with a sip of martini, the unsubspecting victim is henceforth zapped into a state of deliciously meditative euphoria.

But be warned: Unless you happen to be lounging on a bearskin rug in front of a warm fire with that Special Someone , you could easily overdose on this shit, so be careful. It does make for great "quiet party" background music, however. Creates a mooooooooooood.



On the other hand, a blind selection from the "black hole of records I haven't listened to yet" pile, produces another slab from the same period. Same label, same gorgeous mono, same kind of wonderfully preserved thing from the distant past like a gift from the God of all that is vinyl, and it is good. Different vibe, same reminder of where I came from.


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Monday, November 20, 2006 8:18:00 PM

Louie Prima rules. Loved him in the Jungle Book    



Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:46:00 AM

beautiful songs!    



Tuesday, November 21, 2006 2:08:00 PM

Happy Birthday! Love the blog!

-Percy    



Monday, November 27, 2006 10:55:00 AM

Happy birthday, from another born in the greatest year of all time.
Tom    



Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:06:00 AM

Hi, You have a very nice blog, I visite it every day. Great job!!
I want to invite you to my fifties blog:
http://elpickup.blogspot.com/
I hope you´ll enjoy with my files.

Greetings
Rubén "Mr.Pickup"    



Friday, August 07, 2020 1:34:00 AM

The online slots payout rate is a lot more, it requires a lot of investment money. อัตราจ่ายสล็อต    



» Post a Comment