Doin' What To What?





:: Burnin' Holes In The Eyes Of Abraham Lincoln ::

:: The Ballad Of Johnny Clyde ::

When I first held this platter in my hands, the title "Burnin' Holes In The Eyes of Abraham Lincoln" sounded horrifying. So I picked it up. Turns out it's not a song about historical torture fantasy at all, but rather a foot-tappin' ditty about being stood up at a bar. Now that I can relate to a little better. The other side, which I don't think I'd listened to before today, is a tale of forbidden, or at least frowned-upon, interracial love. Over 25 years before the release of Jungle Fever. I'm just sayin'. Anyway, "Burnin' Holes..." is one of my favorite 70's country songs ever, not only because the title is so memorable, but because the lyrics and the cadence with which they are delivered are so honkytonkalicious.

Backwoods-reared pianist Carl Mann hit the big time at the tender age of 16 when he and guitarist Eddie Bush reworked Nat King Cole's "Mona Lisa" into a rockabilly chart burner in 1959. While he never had another big one like that, he did forge a nice little career on Sun and other labels before retiring from music for a while to go back home and work at the family logging business in Tennessee. He's back playing music again, Rockabilly Gospel to be exact, and you can keep tabs on him at his website.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, July 14, 2006 11:55:00 AM

Holy Shit! Did you see who produced it? Where's Tupper Saussy when you need him?

Mike    



Friday, July 14, 2006 12:39:00 PM

Whoa. I didn't even make the connection. Until I saw his signature. F. Scott McPherson...

Also, how long before I get a word verification that spells out your last name? It keeps getting close.    



Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:35:00 PM

Doesn't this sound like an ersatz Jerry Lee Lewis song!? And do you hear a BEATLES riff in there like I do? (Kinda rings like "From Me to You." Play 'em back to back and see what you think.- Dr. Mark

Questions?/Comments? * This Has Been e-mail From:
"Dr. Mark" Hill * The Doctor Of Pop Culture /*/ drmark7@juno.com
233 Union Street Lancaster, OHIO 43130-3019
MY WEBPAGE: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/popmusicpopculture
MP3 Music Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pmpcjukebox    



» Post a Comment