Beam Me Up, One Last Time





:: Terry McGovern – Beam Me Up, Scotty ::

Ok, if you're a Dr. Demento fan I'm sure you know this song, which is
kind of disappointing to me because when I found this record I thought
it was probably self released and totally obscure. But what the heck?
It is a pretty good little song and a very nice sentiment actually. I
couldn't find any information about Terry McGovern, unless he's the
same Terry McGovern who's appeared in many George Lucas films, but if
he is he's not copping to this record. The other obvious reason for
posting this song is the passing of actor James Doohan a couple of
weeks ago. I'll spare you any further "beam me up" references.


Mike

Note from Tony: The arranger, wacky band leader Dick Bright, whose name I remember seeing about 400 times in the SF Weekly when I lived up there, had a hand in more than one Dr. Demento record.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:03:00 AM

Terry McGovern was a DJ on free-form radio in SF (I think KSAN), and also did improv with The Committee in SF and various groups in LA when he went down there to try to make it in show biz. He also published a very clever parody of Rod McKuen poetry called Listen To The Loud. Haven't seen him in years, but have no reason to doubt he's still plying his wit somewhere somehow.    



» Post a Comment