Notes From The Paisley Undergound





:: Saturday At 3PM ::

:: Now You Can Buy Love Too ::

Supposedly a part of the early 80's Los Angeles Paisley Underground scene, I reckon Darius and the Magnets fit about as well as anyone else did into that loose grouping. To me, I can even hear a little Oingo Boingo and The Truth, so if nothing else, this band sounds like Los Angeles in first part of the eighties.

The A-Side pulses along insistently with a heavy influx of Eastern stuff going on (sitar, tabla-like percussion.) The B-Side kind of confuses my ears, maybe because the drums are so forward in the mix. Altogether, this was 50ยข well spent by my friend Alec, who gave it to me as part of a bizarre haul of birthday vinyl.

If you'd like to catch up with Darius (who's now gone acoustic it seems,) and actually learn a little about his history, he has a MySpace page.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment