I (You) Probably Won't Get Into This





:: I (You) Can Dance All By My (Your) Self ::

Rule #1 in titling a song that you have chart aspirations for should probably be to not make it so fucking convoluted and non-sensical that no one would ever want to have it leave their own lips. If you are Sun 0))) or Harry Pussy or Bottleskup Flenkenkenmike, and you know the Billboard Hot 100 is somewhere you'll never hang your hat, you can call a song anything you want. Shit, you could make up your own language. So yeah, I bought this 45 because I simply couldn't believe anyone would actually give a song a title like this.

I love the opening of the song, probably because it sounds like something I would sing if I were to improvise a ridiculous disco song on the spot. I absolutely love genre music where they have to get into the genre right off the bat. It's sorta catchy, but mostly it's that late 70's white people disco music that people like you and I would never admit to liking. There's also some superfluous guitar work where the pedal was definitely dialed in to the LA STUDIO setting.

So who are Dalton & Dubarri? Well, they aren't importers of fine distilled spirits like they sound like they might be. Gary Dalton is a bassist/guitarist/vocalist/clarinetist, and Kent Dubarri a percussionist/vocalist. Kind of makes you wonder if Dalton really needed Dubarri. They put out some albums in the early 70's and opened for some heavies like Boz Scaggs, the Doobies, and even the Beach Boys; but as so often was the case, they never found fame of their own. This tune is from what I have to assume was their swan song. I don't know if they were disco-ish before (I'm guessing they sounded more like Seals & Crofts), but going disco in 1979 sure smacks of a last desperate stab at the charts. And I challenge you to find any clarinet in this recording.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:17:00 PM

Tony,
Shame you didn't research a little farther as you might have found as I did a delightful first album. Bluesy, Soulful, and innovative would be my description. I remember distinctly picking a Promo album copy out at the used record shop back in 1975. At the time I was playing in a fusion band and enjoyed the likes of Stanley Clarke, Alphonso Johnson, Herbey Hancock, George Duke, and John McLaughlin. Of the four albums I played repeatedly while romancing my girlfriend (who became my wife) I can emphatically say that Seals and Croft was not one of them. It was Stevie Wonder (Songs in the key of life), Boz Scaggs (Silk Degrees),Narada Michael Walden (Garden of love light), and YES Dalton and Dubarri (Dalton and Dubarri). Dalton and Dubarri remains an important part of my vinyl collection.
As far as the 45 you purchased...I haven't ever heard it. I have no doubt that it is every bit as you say. Unfortunately many artists hung their hopes on the disco phenomenon only to become footnotes as a result.    



Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:26:00 PM

Well if by research you mean seeking out their old music, hell no I didn't do that. I only do that if I like what I've heard. That album you dig might indeed be interesting and good, but you'd never be able to tell that by listening to this 45. If I see it cheap, I'll pick it up. And if it sounds like Seals & Croft, I will eat a crunchy insect.    



Monday, September 26, 2011 2:00:00 AM

I've listened to this song and it's a fantastic soulful sounding dance track and an underrated gem. This is a Saturday night dance song for the bars to liven them up. You can hear the long 6:31 minute version on Youtube. I think that Dalton & Dubarri had it back then and their sound still beats a lot of the stuff today.    



Monday, August 07, 2017 10:27:00 PM

The mis-print on the album cover by some record company secretary should have read "CLAVINET" not "clarinet"... Gary Dalton also engineered as well as produced and performed on this record. He was also the test pilot for Tascam (TEAC) and was using the very first prototype 90-16 machine ever produced by the company.    



Saturday, August 13, 2022 2:10:00 AM

stephen curry shoes
supreme clothing
air jordan shoes
goyard
off white
off white
jordan shoes
bape clothing
off white jordan 1
kd 13
   



» Post a Comment