When Nashville Goes Bad





:: La Chicana ::

:: Four In The Morning ::

:: Kentucky ::

:: Wabash Cannonball ::

Chet Atkins is a music legend. Floyd Cramer is a very well known Country tinkler. Danny Davis...well, you know if you lead the Nashville Brass, you are going to be the third wheel in this crowd. His super power appears to be the ability to turn old American standards into 70's game show music. I'm not necessarily complaining; I totally see myself picking up something by him down the road, once I get my walls shag-carpeted in chocolate brown.



What I thought this record was, in my lunch hour haste, was an historic and hopefully quirky collaboration of these three country music figures. Turns out it's primarily a compilation of the works of the three artists, with just two tunes featuring all three. Turns out that's plenty! You would think that the influence of Atkins and Cramer might steer things toward their style a bit, something at least remotely traditional, but on the opening track "La Chicana" the unholy result of these three getting together is perhaps a whole new genre - Disco Cruise Ship Game Show Music. I can see a Conga line with Charo in the front and Charles Nelson Reilly in the rear (naturally), decrepitly making its way down the deck of the Love Boat while Capt. Stubing and Bert Convy look on approvingly. It's perfect music to honk a titty to. The other compost-ition, "Four In The Morning," sounds like hangover music for the loneliest old fart in the world. What the hell was wrong in 1977?

I am tossing in the Atkins track "Kentucky," because it sounds like Brian May. I wish I was kidding. And the Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass version of "Wabash Cannonball," because I feel like you might not believe what I said about his super power.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:37:00 AM

Wow, you weren't kidding about sounding like a soundtrack to the Love Boat. I can see Capt. Stubing giving these guys the thumbs up while the conga line goes on.    



» Post a Comment