JSBX OMG





:: Lovin' Up a Storm ::

:: 40lb Block of Cheese ::

I can remember browsing the “new releases” wall of the Philadelphia Record Exchange way back in ’91 and coming across A Reverse Willie Horton, the first Jon Spencer Blues Explosion album. Upon flipping it over to view the back cover, my 17-year old eyes bugged out at those big black titties and I decided to make a purchase. While I dug the raw, lo-fi rock ‘n’ roll and Spencer’s Elvissey howlings drenched in reverb, I gotta say this ain’t the type of record that garnered much repeated listening. Still, it’s interesting because most of the songs on this album ended up being reproduced by Steve Albini for inclusion on their self-titled LP put out by Caroline the following year. So all of the songs that appeared here haven’t been issued in this form since, and two songs, “Lovin’ Up a Storm” and “40lb Block of Cheese” appear nowhere else. I guess that’s why I saw this record recently hanging on the wall of the same record store I bought it at 15 years ago, only now it had a price tag of $50. Wa wa wee wa, Phil made a profit!

Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »