Farewood





:: Hold ::

:: Disappear ::

:: The People ::

Mike actually picked up this album first, thinking it might have been a Jandek album. Judging from the cover, who could blame him? When he put the record on one night after band practice, I was mesmerized. I kept muttering about how I had to get this record, like a crazy person. Or a very drunk person. And a few days and internet searches later, I located a copy. I have a feeling many people will find this to be boring, but for me it strikes chords, and reminds of the moody music of Bibio, and the whispery lo-fi of Black Moth Super Rainbow predecessor Satanstompingcaterpillars. Some music just hits me right in my melancholy spot, and already sounds familiar to me somehow. This self-titled, home-recorded album from 1994 by a guy named Lou does just that. It's full of crackles, unscreened "p" sounds on the mic and room noises, and you can often hear the record button being pushed. You don't always want that on an album, but here it seems perfect, like you're eavesdropping on Lou as he records it. Evidently, Farewood is now, or at some point became, a full band. But this is probably all I'll ever need.

Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Monday, April 03, 2006 9:27:00 AM

I actually found my copy brand new for 50 cents. I didn't think it was Jandek, but the guy at the record store commented that it would probably be "Jandek-like", or something like that.

Mike    



» Post a Comment