Underground Soldier Unearthed






:: Underground Soldier – Headaches ::

:: Underground Soldier – Riot At Safeway ::

I picked this album up as a youngster for two reasons: it had Ian Mackaye’s name on the back as the producer, and a Philly label, Speed of Sound, put it out. There was a point in my life where, even if I wasn’t old enough to schlep around Philly at night on Septa to see shows, I would try to buy up Philly-related music (though some bands never garnered my support). Underground Soldier wasn’t a Philly band, however, they were from D.C., which, with Mackaye producing, makes it odd that they weren’t on Dischord.



As far as I can tell, this 1984 release, “fun before profit!” is the only album they put out. It’s a shame, because this is a decent collection of tunes and more would have been a good thing. The album cover would lead you to think that music inside is brutal, but they really turn out some melodic stuff. They even do a cover of Golden Earring’s “Radar Love”, credited as “Raid. R. Luv.” I can’t bear to hear that classic rock radio staple anymore, but it’s enjoyable here with vocalist Helen Danicki’s voice singing it out (‘cause, you know, female vocals always makes things better). You guys don’t want to hear a cover though, so check out my favorite song from the album, “Headaches.”


Phil
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 5:36:00 PM

I had this when I was a kid as well, and for at least one of the same reasons. I used to really love the song "Riot At Safeway," but sadly sold this as soon as I got into college. Thanks for posting this

Also, for what it's worth "Dug" from this band was also in the Dischord band Beefeater.    



Monday, August 15, 2005 5:08:00 PM

That's the stuff.

Thanks.    



Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:28:00 AM

I'm feelin' the love here. Just a little post to say that vocalist Helen Danicki is a Philly girl. That's the connection. (Plus Dug went to college in the Phila. suburbs). After living in DC and LA, I'm back in my hometown. UxSx fans should know there is a chance that this EP will be reissued. We've been to talking to a guy in California. I'll let you know if anything comes of it. --Helen    



Wednesday, August 24, 2005 12:38:00 AM

Ah, yes, there's much love 'round these parts. Thanks for checking in, Helen. I look forward to the possible reissue, my copy has been a bit beat up thru the years.    



Friday, July 06, 2007 4:59:00 PM

I used to own and love this album! I'd love to get copies of all or some of the tracks. Any chance you would be willing to revisit this excellent release and put the old tracks back up? Any further word on a CD release? I'd love to hear Riot in Safeway and E.S.T again.

Thanks for all you guys do!    



Thursday, January 08, 2009 12:49:00 PM

spreading the love for this lp!!! :) got it a few years ago, bought it from a guy in amsterdam (i live in north-east italy), tough job to track it dow... but really worth it! love helen's voice. and mr. birdzell is the man... he even played in my hometown in '94 w/ the awsome rain like the sound of train!!! -leo    



Saturday, August 13, 2022 3:07:00 AM

bape sta
off white hoodie
yeezy wave runner 700
off white t shirt
off white shoes
kd shoes
bape sta
off white
curry shoes
yeezy
   



» Post a Comment