Is You Is, Or Is You Isn't A Song Poem?





:: Dane Jenkins – Weekend Wino (Wine-O) ::

I know it’s been bugging you for years. What would happen if you were somehow able to combine the smooth country-pop stylings of The Oak Ridge Boys with the fanciful beach bum musings of Jimmy Buffett? I think I have your answer. Weekend Wino. Part of me suspects that between the hokey name of the label (Star-Gems Records??) and the no frills appearance of the record itself, this is really a song poem. I found some Dane Jenkinses on the web: a sports memorabilia dealer, a sheriff’s deputy, and an apparent Scientologist; but alas no Dane Jenkinses who have a music career. Throw in a chartreuse label that’s as putrid as the rhymes in the chorus, and an anonymous P.O. Box in Santa Monica, and the whole thing just reeks of song poem. Well, I love song poems. Even if this isn’t one, it might as well be, and I relish every awkwardly crammed-in word.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment