The Shiny Gem In The Poo





:: Hüsker Dü - Erase Today ::

SST was one of my favorite labels back in the day, sporting a terrific roster of bands, though that roster is hardly evident or interesting on “The Blasting Concept, Volume II.” The album is truly a chore to get through in one sitting. Most every song is uninspired, be it Minutemen’s cover of Van Halen’s “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love”, Meat Puppets painful version of Willie Dixon’s “I Just Want to Make Love to You” or “I Can See You” by Black Flag, who were in the process of weeding out. The one shiny nugget that makes the album worth the whole $3.49 I paid for it is Hüsker Dü’s, “Erase Today.” It’s got all the components that made Hüsker Dü essential - slashing and distorted guitar, tight rhythm, and relentless lyrics that charge along, lashing out at you by song’s end. It’s a New Day Rising outtake, and I’ve often wondered how this song didn’t make it onto that album, while “How to Skin a Cat” did. Not that I’m complaining; New Day Rising is still probably one of the most important albums to come out of the ‘80’s.


Phïl
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Thursday, August 04, 2005 12:56:00 PM

That 'Todo Para Mi' song was quite funny, tho'.    



Wednesday, February 02, 2011 9:15:00 PM

Holy crap! I had this exact same thought about this song and that records. Well, I like the cover of Ain't Talkin''Bout Love, but holy shit yeah, Erase Today is probably my favorite Husker Du song.    



» Post a Comment