Going To Hell For Laughing, Part Sixty Four





:: Gary S. Paxton - The Big "A" = The Big "M" ::

Prepare to have your mind blown. I will never forget the first time I slapped this on my turntable. I had wracked my brain trying to guess what the hell the Big A and the Big M were, and why they equaled each other. I won't spoil it for you, just listen to the song. Me? I literally fell on the floor about 30 seconds into this beauty.

The artist is Gary S. Paxton, who at one point was in a band called The Pledges with future Byrd and Flying Burrito Brother of the Purple Sage, Skip Battin. (They later performed as a duo with awful monikers like Chuck and the Chuckles, Clyde Gary and his Orchestra, Gary and Clyde, and Flip and Skip!) After those zany halcyon days ended, he was one the of the Hollywood Argyles, singing their hit paean to a comic strip neanderthal, "Alley Oop." He also did some producing and engineering for artists like The Association, and even studio vocal work for Ernest Tubbs, Charley Pride, and Waylon Jennings. Perhaps most importantly, he ran a few record labels, the pharmaceutically named Garpax Records (where he conspired with Boris Pickett to make "Monster Mash" a graveyard smash) and a tiny but important country label called Bakersfield International.

At some point in the early seventies, he found God. Or maybe he was already religious and was hit in the eye by a laser at a Blue Oyster Cult concert, pushing him totally over the edge. It was around this time that he started a new label, called simply Pax, and started putting out records like these. Thank God. Though this is most assuredly a Christian record, he manages to tip us off that he's a Republican as well. I still can't believe this is on red vinyl, and I also can't believe that in 1978, of all years, this born-again huckster didn't notice that the logo on the sleeve looks like little Space Invader naughty bits. Sadly, the phone number below them does not ring through to Gary Paxton, or to God, unless He lives in Kansas City, Kansas and goes by Bob.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Saturday, July 23, 2005 12:46:00 AM

The song can also be found on the Gary Paxton album, Terminally Weird But Godly Right. If you like the 45, the album is more of the same.    



Sunday, July 24, 2005 5:41:00 PM

Ohmygod, that just blew my mind. Holy crow!    



Monday, July 25, 2005 12:24:00 PM

The girls have nice voices on this song. It is soothing to me. Kill it.    



Friday, July 29, 2005 5:33:00 PM

Kill it! Genius!    



Friday, July 29, 2005 6:31:00 PM

Truly, truly astonishing.    



Sunday, July 31, 2005 10:12:00 PM

abortion = murder? this is creepy as hell    



Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:33:00 AM

I heard this song once when I was a little kid, I think it was my father who was listening to it...

Needless to say that song started me down the path to becoming an aethist.

SomethingAwful.com just did a flash video of this song, as of this posting the video should still be on the right menu under "Flash Tub: The Big 'A' = The Big 'M'" and while it's not as hilarious as the other Flash files on the site I thought it was okay.    



Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:56:00 AM

Thanks very much for reposting this. I hadn't heard it for 25 years, but it's just as creepy as I remembered.    



Thursday, July 05, 2007 6:31:00 AM

g-zus! what the hell is this? how deviant people can actually be? the choir! jesus campers a must have.    



Friday, August 03, 2007 10:05:00 PM

hmm I see I made it to the big time elite scoffer, mocker and pessimistic corner of Loserland LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally elite.

That is my sister and I singing on that song. We happen to be Gary's invisible daughters. Bet none of you even knew he had any.    



Friday, August 03, 2007 10:24:00 PM

I never actually thought about whether Gary had kids or not, but since I first posted this, I have picked up the full length album, and also I haven't had any abortions. You kids sounded sweet though, and don't take anything I wrote too seriously. That's entertainment.    



Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:33:00 AM

This comment has been removed by the author.    



Saturday, August 04, 2007 1:51:00 AM

Well, keep in mind that the song was cut a long time ago and I have aged since then LOL!! I have a daughter in the music business as well.

Visit my MySpace
www.myspace.com/mellygurl007

Cheers,
Melody Paxton    



Saturday, August 04, 2007 1:58:00 AM

What is a born again huckster? First time I have seen that slander. Interesting.    



Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:59:00 AM

I was a college sophomore in 1978. One night, stoned out of my mind, I came across the always hilarious Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker busily defrauding viewers of their christian TV show, the PTL Club. They aired an anti-abortion segment that a member of their production crew had put together. It consisted of a slide show of aborted fetuses, with a running foreground image of one of those heart monitor blip lines....and the soundtrack was THIS music!!! When the piece ended, the Bakkers came back on screen looking green around the gills. They recovered quickly and resumed raising money for their Heritage USA christian theme park, while I began a thirty-year odyssey to locate the music I had heard that night. And here it is at last!!! Thank you Record Robot, thank you.    



Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:10:00 AM

Please, it's "Tubb" -- Ernest Tubb, not "Tubbs."    



Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:03:00 PM

He's got a couple invisible bastards as well.    



Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:16:00 AM

Bought this 45 at a thrift store in the early 80s. Custody was given to my best friend. When he was in college, all his records were stolen....haven't heard this since! Thank you!!!!    



Saturday, August 13, 2022 3:23:00 AM

supreme clothing
kobe shoes
golden goose outlet
bape clothing
off white
   



» Post a Comment