Roy Montgomery Makes Me Space Out



:: Roy Montgomery – Sterling Morrison, Corner 10th & First, 1966 ::

Very few songs on 7” singles have ever had the immediate effect on me that this one did. The intertwining guitar parts pulled me in. By the end, they intensify and crescendo into staccato kaleidoscope fireworks, and I remember almost being in a trance by the time the needle ran out of grooves. I don’t have good enough words to articulate what this sounds like, although to my ears it conjures some of the psychotropic Eastern sounds on Echo & The Bunnymen’s Porcupine album. A quote from the inside of the record explains it pretty well: “I wrote and recorded this piece as a tribute to someone who profoundly influenced my guitar playing. I am certain he left some vibes at this intersection, but I’m not sure why.” This gorgeous piece by the kiwi DIY king was released on a 1996 split with Loren MazzaCane Connors on the Gyttja label.


Tony
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:22:00 PM

Worth it for the "I am certain he left some vibes at this intersection, but I'm not sure why" note alone!    



Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:07:00 AM

Thank you - Roy Montgomery    



» Post a Comment